Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My Kitchen Companion

The most important piece of equipment in my kitchen is....my Philips Food Processor. My husband blessed me with it when my old one died. It has a capacity for 2 litres and a blender as well as numerous other attachments.
The reason my processor is so important to me, is because I love making my own curry pastes, basting sauces, rubs, Morroccan pastes, Mazavaroo, dips, home-made pestos...the list is endless.
I have put three recipes together. These, I would say, are essential to have on hand to make some delicious meals.
I have added my own ingredients and left out others to make these recipes my own.
 
Moroccan Harissa Paste:
Ingredients:

100 grams dried red chillies
6 cloves garlic -- peeled
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup ground coriander
1/3 cup ground cumin
1/3 cup paprika
2/3 cup olive oil

Method:

Wearing rubber or cotton gloves remove stems of chillies.
Split chillies in half, remove seeds and soften in hot water.
Dry-fry the coriander and cumin seeds just before grinding.
Process garlic, salt, ground coriander and cumin seeds, and drained red chillies to a paste, slowly adding olive oil until well combined.
May be added to appropriate dishes, including couscous; or served separately in a bowl.

Tip: Remember to dry-fry the coriander and cumin seeds just before grinding.
Harissa should be thick with the consistency of light mayonnaise.


Green Thai Curry Paste:
Ingredients:
4-6 medium green chillies, de-seeded and roughly chopped
2 spring onions roughly chopped
5cm/2in piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 garlic cloves, crushed
small bunch of fresh coriander, stalks and roots attached if possible
1 lemon, grated zest and juice
1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp black peppercorns, crushed
2 tsp Thai light soy sauce
3 tbsp olive oil

Method:
Place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blitz to a paste. Use straight away or store in a jar in the fridge for up to 3 weeks. This quantity is enough for a curry for 8 people.

Basil Pesto: 

Ingredients:
2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup cashews nuts
3 medium sized garlic cloves, minced
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste


Method:
Combine the basil with the nuts, pulse a few times in a food processor.
Add the garlic, pulse.
Slowly add the olive oil while the food processor is on. Stop and scrape off the mixture that has collected on the sides of the processor.
Add the Parmesan cheese and pulse until blended. Add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment